[pianotech] Brass rail

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Wed May 26 11:34:48 MDT 2010

Hi Barb,

Duplicating the rail should not be necessary if the tabs are all
straight. I like to anneal the rails by heating to a dull cherry red
(visible in a dimly lit room). You can do it with a gas stove burner or
a propane torch. The brass is work-hardened by the original stamping and
possibly from use or over tightening of the butt plates, so heating the
brass makes it less brittle / more tolerant of bending while maintaining
adequate strength.

If there are broken tabs, then replacement (used or from Schaff) is
best. Call Schaff to see if they still do replacements. Note that they
don't do double rail type (such as Kimball) where the hammers and damper
levers are attached to the one plate.

Tom Cole