[pianotech] Fw: 4 pictures for you

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu May 27 21:38:28 MDT 2010

Tom Driscoll wrote:
> Ron,
> Mine eyes have been opened !
> In my Dean Garten inspired Spa treatment for the Piano I  bed the frame
> and adjust glides with the action stack on, and the keys removed .
> Others might have a different method, but with the keys out I can thump
> away on rails and be more sure of solid contact to the bed . If the dang
> thing had a slot cut in the top of the stud I could still adjust from
> the top but for the few minutes it takes to adjust the glide from the
> bottom any retrofit is probably more trouble than it's worth.
> The reasoning for this was escaping me -- until now .
> Thanks ,
> Tom D

Any time. This one is pretty straightforward, but it's always
intrigued me that some totally incomprehensible thing, looked
at from the perspective of someone on the hook for making it
work, suddenly becomes plausible and even rational. Not that
this is always the case, but it happens often enough to buffer
the 100% this, or 100% that binary assessment because I
believe so approach. There's a certain annoying majesty to the
"because it does for this simple reason" answer, as opposed to
a sexier, shinier, "looks good on the wall, but mere mortals
like yourself aren't privy" sort of vague posturing that
happens so often.

In other words, if that ain't it, I don't know. But it looks
to me that that's it.
Ron N