[pianotech] Strange Bechstein damper wires

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon May 31 00:55:32 MDT 2010

At 01:15 +0100 31/5/10, David Boyce wrote:

>Does anyone know what these odd extra damper wires are for, on this
>1890s Bechstein upright?
>
>The last trichord at the beark has an additional "fly damper", but
>there is no sign of them ever having been fitted to these bass
>notes.  I wondered if perhaps this model of action was also fitted
>to other, taller pianos that needed fly dampers at the bass. But why
>the "loop" ends?

On later models they did go a step further and add fly dampers, but
the idea of these "counter-wires" is, I think, that they oscillate at
a different frequency from the damper body itself and from the
string, so that the damper felt cannot  bounce off the string for
long.  I've never tested it but I wouldn't be surprised if it were
more effective than a fly damper.

JD