[pianotech] Voicing the new Mason & Hamlins

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Fri Oct 1 12:56:50 MDT 2010

 >Del Wrote

 Ron NBearing in mind, of course, that this is how the turkey did it. But back to the piano; even when the belly is working we seem to have aproblem. What I was referring to was simply the inappropriate choice ofhammers. Putting Ronsen/Bacon hammers on a Yamaha concert grand andcomplaining that Ronsen hammers need so damn much lacquer to "make themsound right." Or putting Renner Blue hammers on an older Steinway M andcomplaining about you have to "pre-voice" the things by driving a set ofthree needles into each shoulder 50 times before they are hung to "make themsound right." Accompanied, of course, by complaints about how heavy thetouch has become and wondering why. After all, I didn't change the action.Right?  ddfDelwin D FandrichPiano Design & Fabrication620 South Tower AvenueCentralia, Washington 98531 USAdel at fandrichpiano.comddfandrich@gmail.comPhone  360.736.7563

  Yes & then the hammer maker becomes the scape goat.  How grossly unfair.!!!!
  But the turkey will continue to be stuffed until hammer sampling becomes common place....in another 20 or 30 years?  hope not.
  There are a bunch a smart guys in our business & on this list who are figuring it out.
  Dale Erwin