[pianotech] Wiping Rusty Strings W/Oil

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 12:06:59 MDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 5:19 PM, William Monroe <bill at a440piano.net> wrote:

> Michael,
>
> Though some posters tend to word things rather strongly (as have you), I'd
> suggest taking it in stride.  Most of us have a hard time at one point or
> another when our belief systems are questioned.
>
> You wrote: "I would gladly consider changing methods if Tom can explain
> what has radically changed about piano tensions, soundboards, bridges,
> strings & the climate affecting them over the last 41 years that would cause
> me to."
>
> It's not the piano that has changed it's our understanding of and
> application of the physics of pianos.  The world used to be flat too.  It
> didn't change, our understanding did.  Those who were entrenched in their
> belief system accepted it much less rapidly than others.
>
> You wrote, "...premise about the drop being because of back scale tension I
> find highly unlikely as I pound my tunings in, again an old habit I was
> taught was best & that has served me well."
>
> Again, you seem to have a belief system that suggests that pounding in a
> tuning stabilizes back scale tensions adequately.  Ron (and others) believe
> this to be a false premise.  Simply believing that what you've done for your
> entire career doesn't make it true.
>
>  You wrote, "As for my comments about Protek, IMHO I got along without it
> for the first 30 years of my career & after I purchased some I did not find
> it to be the panacea that many others have. "
>
> No one is suggesting that Protek is a panacea.  They (and I) firmly believe
> it reduces friction at the capo and agraffes - I also use it on the Steinway
> Ski Slope when it seems justified.  It does reduce friction, simple as that,
> and a reduction in friction of bearing points cannot do anything but reduce
> the incidence of broken strings.  No panacea, just judicious application of
> modern materials.
>
> You wrote, "Obviously I'm totally wrong about strings stretching, that
> would explain why none of us EVER has to return to touchup those new
> strings. It also explains why we don't have to tune new or newly restrung
> pianos any more often than old pianos.
>  I know there is the bending of/settling of the wire around the bridge
> pins, agraffes, etc. sometimes for a year ot more but no stretching."
>
> I'm not sure if you are still being sarcastic or if you indeed are
> recognizing that strings do undergo an initial stretch as they are brought
> to a specified tension, but that continued stretching (creep) does not
> happen in any measurable way without a corresponding increase in tension.
>  We do return to touch up the new string because of wire bending, (probably
> primarily) and who knows what other forces/movements, but not string creep.
>
> Having said all this, I think many of us would do well to recognize that
> when our belief systems (some long established) are being challenged, that
> is a good thing.  That is how learning and professional growth happen.  It
> [...]

William,

I thank you for your good, reasoned words, I do believe there is truth in
what others have said & my credo has always been that I have more to learn
that if I stop learning I should find something else to do.
I also believe however a 1/2 tone flat piano goes out of tune after the
initial pitch raise, regardless of the number of passes & returning it to
pitch  & fine tuning in one sitting is not possible, except for a short term

My point was that I spend time with my customers, I educate my customers, I
don't leave them with the impression that they can ignore tuning their piano
for 10 years or more & it can be rectified in an hour & 1/2.

One of the techs in our chapter has done pitch raises on pianos in his shop
& they don't drop in pitch over a month or so, he questioned the necessity
of re-tuning, upon questioning it was revealed the pianos in question
weren't played.

The point is there are different situations we are discussing here, when I
do the initial pitch raise, I encourage the customers to play the piano as
much as possible. I've found I get a better finish tune when I return.

I will consider what I have learned here, as I would expect others to
consider what I have to offer.

Mike
I think we are a product of all our experiences.
Sanford I. Weill<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/s/sanfordiw283095.html>

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404