[pianotech] Client Management Software Recommendations

Mark Purney mark.purney at mesapiano.com
Mon Oct 4 16:05:50 MDT 2010

  William,

The problem with PTBiz data (assuming you have found a way to export it)
is that it has a very specific, customized relational structure. Client
information is kept in one set of data, piano information in another,
and service records (work orders) yet another, and there are many
separate, but related data sets. These sets of data relate to each other
using ID numbers stored in ID fields.

So the problem is that in order to import all the data into something
different, the new database would need to be designed with a compatible
relational structure, or designed to process the incoming data into a
new structure. It's not as simple as importing or exporting contacts
from your phone to your PC. You might be able to import just your client
contact info into a program like Daylite, but you'd likely need to scrap
all piano information and service history.

If you're stuck using PTBiz, there aren't any easy solutions. The best
one I know of is to spend a lot of time learning how to use Filemaker on
an advanced level. Then you can create your own database solution that
imports the PTBiz data into a similar relational structure. Then you
will have total control over how you work with your data, plus total
flexibility to adapt to how your needs may change over the years.

Good luck.