[pianotech] chain hoist

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Tue Oct 5 17:30:12 MDT 2010

Get a winch. Electric, one button/one hand operation with one hand
on the plate. I have a 1 ton winch fixed to a beam with the cable
running to a single pulley wheel for the drop.

It has effortlessly pulled and reinstalled 9' plates numerous times
through the fitting process.  Paid around $200 about 25 years ago.
Will pull a grand up to a second floor (where my shop once was).

The most intriguing use was when a customer wanted his grand
in the basement but the staircase would not permit it. Since a carpenter
was there remodeling something else, he cut the floor in the hallway
between the joists and made a scaffolding to hold the winch. We rolled
the piano onto a plywood trap and strapped it to the PowerWinch.
Just like NY.
But as the reverse principle of nature occurs: what goes down,
must come up. The carpet lifted, the trap removed,
scaffolding replaced, piano lifted.  A fun time was had by all.

It can also be used to set up and remove a Player grand from a dolly. :-)
Any grand for that matter.

Better living through electricity.
http://www.powerwinch.com

Shop around.