[pianotech] Tips for restoration of a 1926 Knabe grand?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Oct 8 12:32:01 MDT 2010

On 10/8/2010 11:50 AM, nora somer wrote:
> Hello all,
> Any hints, tips, FYIs, or sage words of wisdom for restoring a 5'8" 1926
> Knabe grand? Is there anything special (inherent to this piano) I should
> look out for and address in the restoration process?

Just the bridge caps, which are probably splinters.

> Philosophical question: is it still a 1926 Knabe if little things unique
> to a Knabe of that time period are changed (i.e., replacing the center
> rail key pins and key buttons with modern ones)? If it's not a flaw or
> poor design, I just think it would be cooler to have the original
> design, but what a hassle it would be for replacing key buttons and
> bushings! What are your thoughts?

It's original now. Any scrap of wood or felt you replace will destroy
that. Either surround it as is with a velvet rope, and worship at it's
original holiness, or do your best to make it into the best performance
instrument you can. It's not an antique, and it will never again be
original and new, unless you have access to a time machine.

It most likely needs a soundboard too.
Ron N