[pianotech] Tips for restoration of a 1926 Knabe grand?

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Fri Oct 8 15:58:11 MDT 2010

And just to follow up, I don't think I implied that the Knabe wasn't
anything special, just there there were no specific obstacles I know of.
 Knabe, Chickering, or one of so many others, may not have been anything to
write home about off the line but the beauty of rebuilding is that we get to
make it what we (and our client) want.  A Chickering can be rebuilt into a
very high quality piano, just like a Knabe, Mason, Baldwin, Miller, AB
Chase, J.Bauer, S&S, and on and on........

It's not always worth it financially from a Fair Market Value perspective so
we can't justify the work on spec as rebuilders, but from a musical
perspective, if someone owns the carcass and they are attached, why not?  So
long as the client understands that a non S&S rebuild likely won't have a
FMV that equals the cost of the quality rebuild, it can certainly have equal
or greater performance capabilities.

A non-issue in this case as the owner (Nora) is the client, but otherwise if
we are honest and up front with our clients about the before and after
market and musical values of a rebuild candidate, it's smooth sailing.

William R. Monroe