[pianotech] Of Chisels

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Oct 9 05:18:04 MDT 2010

I honestly haven't noticed a huge difference between cheap and good
chisels regarding their ability to acquire a sharp edge. How long that
sharp edge will last is definitely related to quality of metal (the
harder that longer-lasting - but also the more difficult to sharpen).
I know that you need to have a proper angle for a good wood edge (and
sorry, without looking at my notes on my Tormac I don't know what they
are right off hand).

Now maybe my "cheap" chisels are not REALLY poor quality. I have to
admit that I do have several REALLY cheap chisels that I use for nasty
work - hammering on stuff with nails in it, chiseling concrete, etc.
And I also have to admit that I have tried to sharpen these chisels
and they never do seem to get a really fine edge on them. Perhaps we
need a metallurgists input, but my understanding is that some metals
are finer "grained" than other metals (well, steels) - the finer the
"grain", the sharper the edge attainable. I'm not a metallurgist and I
don't know exactly what metal "grain" is - particle size presumably. I
know metal doesn't have annual growth rings, and I've never really
seen metal "grain". But it only seems reasonable that some metals
(steels) are going to produce a finer/sharper edge than others - and
presumably more expensive metals would be the finer "grain" metals.

I presume this issue of steel "grain" size is the biggest difference
between good and cheap and the ability of a chisel to be more finely
sharpened.

The best chisels I have run across are Japanese laminated chisels. Del
Fandrich turned me on to them when I asked him about a chisel for
bridge notching. The laminated chisel has two metals of different
hardness - a very hard metal on the lower surface (where the tip of
the blade is) and a thicker softer metal on the top. The reason they
laminate two metals together is to give you a blade of adequate
thickness (stiff, feels good, etc.), is easy to sharpen (soft metal
grinds quickly and hard metal is so thin that it is not time consuming
to sharpen) and holds a sharp edge for a long time (hard metal is at
blade tip - hard metal holds sharp edge for long time).

Bottom line is that I do believe that "good" chisels are better than
"cheap" and worth it for the professional woodworker.

My Japanese chisels are like these Usu Nomi - Japanese Paring
Chisels:  http://www.fine-tools.com/usu-nomi.html

I can get these things so sharp it's scary.......

Hope this helps.

Terry Farrell