[pianotech] rates for new techician

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Oct 11 14:04:48 MDT 2010

Be Careful!  Don't just advertise $40 for a tuning!!!!!  That's what got
me into trouble once 20 years ago when I was new!.  All you get are people
who haven't had their pianos tuned since the 70's or worse, and they're
almost always grandma's ancient old uprights that haven't worked with
broken parts, strings, etc for years and are looking for a cheap "fix".
Don't do it!. They really don't understand that the fixes will be $x,000
bucks and many many tunings, or rebuilding or replacement (usually the
case).

 The price you advertise is what they expect to pay, period.  Oh what a
mess I got myself into when I started out!!!!  On afterthinking this while
licking my wounds, was to advertise a "coupon" for $40 off piano tuning
services.  No details, no fuss no muss!  State your expected tuning fees
and hourly rate up front and don't cheat yourself!   We're all suffering
from this and we should be paid much higher than a plumber or electrician!
 Who can do what we do??.... Far less than 1% of the people out there, so
go for it!

I have often challenged a plumber or electrician or carpenter who wants to
charge $85/hour: Lets trade places; after 6 months of training, and see
who can do a better job!!  Nobody's taken me up on that! I could do any of
their jobs with a month of training if I chose to do so.   I love what I
do, so that's what I do. I have no desire to clean out somebody's plugged
up toilet.

We are very unique!  Take it into your soul and sell what you're really
worth!

Paul