[pianotech] Of Chisels

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Mon Oct 11 18:02:19 MDT 2010

Hi David,

On my jig with my holder, the distances for plane irons are:
20 degree      70mm
25 degree      52mm
30 degree      39mm
35 degree      29mm

Chisels:
20 degree      54mm
25 degree      40mm
30 degree      30mm
35 degree      22mm
45 degree      11mm

Having listed all that, the important thing to consider is that the
distances for a specific angle are determined both by your particular set of
chisels/plane irons, and by your holder.  I determined my angle by placing
my tools in my holder, zeroing out the Beall Tool Tilt Box on the bench, and
then reading the angle with the Tilt Box on the tool, adjusting as necessary
to get a specific degree bevel for the tool.

It is not strictly important that your stops be perfectly parallel to the
edge of the jig that mates with the tool holder.  It's just a stop, and
provided you register your blade "always on the left" or "always on the
right" it won't matter that it's not square; I did do my best to make them
square on my jig, however, because that's the way I wanted it.

Another important consideration is that whether you sharpen a primary bevel
at 25 degrees or 26 degrees, or 25.327degrees is not important at all.  What
is important is that once you make the jig, you have a simple method for
duplicating a bevel on your tools.

And because the request was made, here's another image that shows the angle
markings on both sides.  They are the same as those listed above.

William R. Monroe