[pianotech] Straight strung Joseph Berger

John Dorr a440 at bresnan.net
Tue Oct 12 08:03:40 MDT 2010

Hello,

I'm attaching a photo of a Josef Berger straight strung piano.  The owner
wants to know if it's of any historical or antique interest.  She wants to
just GIVE it to me, or to SOMEONE.  She's moving and can't take it.  I
wouldn't know where to begin with it.  I wonder if it's something a museum
might be interested in, or a collector.

Some hammers (leather covered) are broken, it doesn't sound very good.
 Unisons bad -- couldn't check pinblock tightness because of rectangular
smallish pins, etc.  Couple of soundboard cracks.  Ribs look to still be glued
well.

What about this piano, folks?  I'm out of my element here!

John Dorr, RPT
Helena, MT