[pianotech] Traveling tuner

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Oct 12 21:00:47 MDT 2010

On a similar note, one thing I did one time was to pay my way
traveling with tunings. What I did was I was traveling from Florida to
Minnesota, and I called ahead to a bunch of bed-and-breakfast places
in town where I planned to spend the night. I asked them if they had a
piano. Some of them would reply that yes they had a piano, but it
hadn't been tuned in a long time and I likely would not enjoy playing
it. I timed my stays for weekdays (less chance that they would be
booked up. Son then I would say "Well, have I got a deal for you!" I'd
tell them it is a week day, they likely won't have a full house
anyway, and I will tune their piano for a free night's stay and
breakfast. I think I made that connection three times. Worked well and
it was fun!

I've always wondered whether a piano tech could tune his/her way
across Europe. I think that would be fun for sure.

Terry Farrell