[pianotech] Of Chisels

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Oct 13 12:34:54 MDT 2010

That all makes sense. And I can see where plane blades would be more
difficult on stones - especially by hand. One of the many things I
like about the Tormek is that it is very easy to re-establish the
exact grinding angle on any given blade. So when you notice it getting
dull and you want to hit it with either the leather or the fine stone,
it is very easy/quick to get that angle exact.

You kinda got me thinking about some things with the Tormek and I've
done a bit of reading - pretty much reinforcing some things that I've
had an idea of. Reading in many of the forums on woodworking and
sharpening I get the clear impression that many hard-core woodworker
and/or those with good sharpening skills would not be caught dead
using a power sharpener like the Tormek. And I have absolutely no
doubt if a skilled sharpener has good equipment and the right skills
they get excellent results, perhaps as easy and fast as I. For the
experienced woodworker with very good hand/stone sharpening skills, I
don't know that the Tormek has huge advantage. I even read that a lot
of folks use the Tormek for grinding, but all fine work is on stones.

That being said. I KNOW I am NOT a woodworker with good or even
adequate hand sharpening skills - nor after significant effort does it
seam that I could acquire good sharpening skills in a reasonable
amount of time. For me the Tormek lets me put a really, really great
edge on anything fast, easy and repeatably.

Ahhh yes, priorities. Well, don't ask me for advice on that one, I'm
not a golfer.......  Now if were talkin' new handlebars or a new seat
for my motorcycle........

Terry Farrell