[pianotech] Electroless Nickel Plating?

Marc Lanthier / Piano Lanco info at pianolanco.com
Thu Oct 14 12:34:23 MDT 2010

Joe wrote:

Oh.  Sounds less than optimal.  So, maybe what I really need to know is:
can one, with diligence and care in preparation and only a modest
expenditure of money for the solution and any necessary levelers and
brighteners, do really beautiful nickel plating with this method, or should
the potential closet pseudo-alchemists among us leave the nickel plating to
the experts?  And, if it can realistically be done by us, is it reasonably
safe for our health?

In short NO. You may be thinking of chrome-nickel plating which uses a
bright nickel process. This is an electrolytic process which can be done at
home if you have the setup and chemicals. As for helath impact, usually
plating solutions are corrosive and hazardous to your health.

Hope it helps.

Marc

small piano

PIANO LANCO