[pianotech] bridge notching machines - search-able title

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Oct 19 09:37:45 MDT 2010

On 10/19/2010 12:50 AM, David Love wrote:
> I think I understand, so you place the notch that's cut in the hold down
> over the exact spot on the bridge where you want the notch cut?So then
> when the cutter is retracted you can look down on top of the bridge and see
> the position of the hold down.

That's right. The hold down is the template for where the cutter will
go. WYSIWYG.

>But then am I correct you can't actually
> watch it cut but have to rely on the stop?

That's right.

>Is there a reason that you
> couldn't have the side of the hold down aligned with the side of the cutter
> so that you could actually just position the edge of the hold down along the
> front/back pin line and watch it cut in addition to having the stop?  Or do
> you need the hold down straddling the cutter when it comes on to the bridge
> for stability?

I don't need the hold down straddling the cutter for stability. It just
needs to keep the bridge pressed to the table firmly, centered on the
cutter path. The hold down is shaped like it is to provide the sight
index. As to watching the cut, I don't see any benefit. The cutter goes
where the notch in the hold down says it will, and making it watchable
complicates things.

Any chance of a picture with a bridge held in place?

A large consideration in the design of this thing is it's portability. I
don't have room to have it set up permanently. If I had, it would have
been built differently. So it's currently hanging on the wall above the
furnace, and takes some time and effort to set up. Next time I have it
down for a job, I'll get more photos.
Ron N