[pianotech] Interesting find

Roger Gable roger at gablepiano.com
Tue Oct 19 16:30:47 MDT 2010

Et at,
I agree with Terry, the wedges or springs do not add to sustain or volume. While studying electrical engineering it was noted that restricting the movement of a magnetically activated diaphragm would reduce the volume and reduce the frequency spectrum -- especially the low end. I believe this applies here as well. It is important that the soundboard have the ability to "store" the energy between cycles. The wedges and springs "short circuit" this ability.
Roger Gable