[pianotech] FW: Re: Chisel Sharpening Epilogue

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 20 12:20:19 MDT 2010

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I

----- Original Message -----
From: Joseph Garrett
To: pianotech-request at ptg.org
Sent: 10/20/2010 9:13:23 AM
Subject: Re: Chisel Sharpening Epilogue

Hmmmm? Sounds like so much horse hokey to me. My system is a 1325rpm grinding wheel, (each wheel..medium & fine grit is about $40 each) a 1" x 42" vertical sander and  three stones, (a good Arkansas medium, 6" x 2 1/2"; a "v" slip and a German Razor Stone,[ceramic]), mounted in a long piece of teak. (Teak coexists with oils better than most other woods) The oil, I use,  is Mineral Oil. No need for the fancy schmancy oils, either! If I can't sharpen a chisel in less than two minutes, then I've been hitting spikes and staples with them...which I seldom do!!!<G> All these fancy schmancy sharpening machines and technicques is pure horse hokey IMHO! BTW, I freehand everything!  I believe I can teach anyone to hand sharpen, as long as they have two hands and reasonable intelligence. Of course, in a former life, I was a chef and grew up in the Restaurant industry.<G>
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police