[pianotech] computer upgrade -somewhat OT

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 06:21:02 MDT 2010

Tom,

I agree with Patrick...gotta get a Mac. I think you'll absolutely love it.
I've had a Mac for 4 years -- changed from Windows and would never think of
my primary computer being anything other than a Mac. (You can run Windows on
a Mac if you want/need to.) Take a peek at the iMacs if you're wanting a
home-type computer. Very, very sleek! And space saving, too, since
everything is built into the screen.

IMNSHO, you don't upgrade until you get a Mac. Once you go Mac, you never go
back. Can you tell I like 'em? <G>

However, depending on your needs and what exactly happened in your shop
computer's "revolt," you might be able to install and use Ubuntu Linux on
your old computer. My mom had a laptop in which Windows XP stopped
recognizing the wireless card. I installed Ubuntu, and it's working well.
Very fast. There are limitations with Linux, and I'm not all that
knowledgeable about it. Look at your needs: if all you're needing is a way
to do email, word processing, and surf the internet from your shop, a Linux
system might work OK. I only use mine as a second computer ... when the kids
are playing games on the Mac, etc.

--
JF