[pianotech] Key balance rebushing

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Thu Oct 21 21:09:09 MDT 2010

Lim,

That's because there is no functional difference.  Some will say there is,
and some will say there isn't, and often will say so very strongly.
 Personally, I see no advantage to pulling through the side slot, other than
to mimic what was there before.  My understanding is that it was there
before because it expedited the manufacturing process, that's all.  There
are plenty enough manufacturers that do not have bushing cloth going through
a side window in the button, and neither have they experienced any notable
failure rates (bushings coming loose because of repeated removal
from/reinstallation to balance rail pins) to cause me to think it a lesser
quality bushing job.  It also would cost you a bit more time, and as I said,
would not yield any functional advantage.

In the end, bush either way, it will work the same.

William R. Monroe