[pianotech] Seiler 53" (135 cm) Upright 1997

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Oct 22 08:16:08 MDT 2010

First thing I would do, btw, is correct the damper timing and see if that
doesn't do the trick.  Then I would check the tension in the damper springs
to be sure that it's not tensioned too high-you will be able to feel if it
is by alternating playing with the damper pedal engaged and not engaged.  If
it's too high adjust accordingly.   If it's still too heavy you can do it
the quick way which is to just go through and pop out a lead that's
positioned in roughly the same place on each key.  A 14 gram lead in halfway
between the balance point and the capstan will reduce the touch weight be 7
grams.  If you want to get very fancy then first measure and adjust the
hammer return spring tension with a gram gauge.  Push the hammers to a
vertical position with the gram gauge and adjust the spring tension until
they are all uniform.  Then measure up and down weight on each key,
calculate the BW and using a platform scale (Stanwood type) remove the
corresponding amount of  lead from the key for the change in BW that you
want.  Since the keys are backleaded you'll have to either set  some weight
on the front of key on the platform so it doesn't fall backwards, zero the
scale and then go from there or set the keys on the platform backwards
(easier).   If you don't want to hassle with the spring tension and
measuring the BW but want to be more precise on the removal of lead then
simply put the keys on the scale so that you can remove a uniform amount of
lead to change the back weight (in this case).

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com