[pianotech] How come?

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sat Oct 23 19:14:57 MDT 2010

On 10/23/2010 4:15 PM, tnrwim at aol.com wrote:
> Granted, sometimes I don't pay as much attention to the last couple of
> notes as I should, but it is very consistent. All the notes are always
> flat. Bad hammer technique would not be so consistent.

This is very interesting. If I see a piano over and over again, I
usually can just check the top four or five notes. They rarely need to
be changed.

I wonder what is happening. Do you feel it has some relationship to the
warm humid climate? Pianos tend to be pretty stable here, because the
summers are dry and the winters are mild but wet, so the furnaces can
dry out the air but don't need to work all that hard. Only the last few
years we've had warm rains spring and fall, and even some heavy rains in
the summer. I hope we don't lose that piano-friendly climate over time.

Susan Kline, Oregon