[pianotech] Regulation mystery

Tony Caught acaught at internode.on.net
Sun Oct 24 03:16:53 MDT 2010

Hi David,

I have worked in both Darwin and Alice Springs for over 20 years, Darwin
humidity varies from 90% to 18% Alice springs Humidity from (at present) 75%
to 5%. These readings are for outside so you have to take into consideration
the variations in the buildings that house the pianos. Experience has taught
me to regulate according to the present climatic conditions in these two
places, thus when the air is dry leave the capstains with a big wink (about
1/3 to ½ mil loose) and when the humidity is high, the capstains should be
tight. Clearance only for the jack to return on a slow lift of the key.

Your capstain has about 6mm lift and the hammer goes forward about 48mm.
Moisture in the cross grain of the timber and moisture in the back touch
felt will cause the capstain to vary in hight by about  ½ mm.

Another reason for Dampp-Chasers in pianos.

Regards

Tony Caught

acaught at internode.on.net