[pianotech] Plate Removal with an engine hoist?

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Tue Oct 26 11:27:14 MDT 2010

The shop at the school where I work has similar limitations and I have used an engine hoist to pull plates for many years. One of the disadvantages of the hoist is that it doesn't really lift straight up (the longer the throw, the less straight)  Keep that in mind--you may want to slightly reposition either the piano (if it's on good wheels, I find this preferable) or the hoist.  Oh, and "use protection" where the inside of the rim is concerned.

Alan E.

P. S. Make sure you have an adequate amount of hydraulic fluid in the hoist, preferably beFORE you get started.  Guess how I learned this?

ae