[pianotech] Big Wankin' screwdrivers

Mark Schecter mark at schecterpiano.com
Thu Oct 28 11:15:38 MDT 2010

Carlos,

About a year ago I replaced my Schaff head and tip with a Jahn shank, head and tip. It is much stronger and stiffer, and improves the tuning feel substantially. There are two differences: 1 the threads are straight, not tapered, and 2 the head has two female threads at the required angle (95 or 105 degrees) to each other, and solid steel between. Straight threads give full contact at all times, and don't depend on tightness for strength the way tapered threads do, so they won't work themselves apart.

-- Mark Schecter