[pianotech] alternate universe available - serious inquiries only

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Fri Oct 29 23:48:18 MDT 2010

On 10/29/2010 9:56 PM, Wim Blees wrote:
> While old Vose pianos were pretty good instruments, and they did have
> some interesting design features,
> from a technician's point of view, in the Midwest, for the most part,
> they're nothing more than an old upright, worth little or nothing to
> the average consumer.

I see them with different eyes. No doubt average customers here don't
realize what they've got, either. It's still worth holding onto these
pianos in the places where they aren't turned to matchwood by humidity
and temperature swings. If they are in reasonable shape (like here on
the west coast, or in the constant dryness of the high desert) it's
worth trying to keep them around till the day people understand that
they are something special.

I'm sure the Vose uprights in the Midwest have suffered terrible damage
from the climate, and also from the abundance of old uprights in the
region, which leads people to assume that they are a dime a dozen. When
so many people moved west, they left the old uprights behind, assuming
they'd be easy to acquire in California. Some found that this wasn't the
case, because so many other people had done the same thing.

Interesting about the tapered tuning pins, Ron. I've never needed to tap
any.

John, it's been my experience that really loose pins (which pianos
usually acquired some other place before they were brought to Oregon)
can be made quite usable by carefully putting a few drops of CA glue on
the top of the pin where it enters the pinblock or plate. It wicks in. I
keep a towel under it to catch the drips. Sometimes a second dose does
better than the first one. I theorize that this is because CA follows
cracks so readily that the first application wicks away from the
oversized hole. The second dose relines the hole better, because the
first dose has sealed the cracks.

Water thin, of course, and not used to excess. I use it only on the pins
which won't hold. Ventilation, of course. It does have "cyano" in the name.

Susan Kline