[pianotech] File under - "Old dog learns new trick!"

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 07:53:50 MDT 2010

Okay, you all were right in extolling the benefits of PVC-E glue for keytop
recovering. (I, as you all know, was one of the last hold-outs for the use
of contact cement on keytops in North America.)

Having been asked to reformat the article I wrote for the Journal for the
Schaff webstore,  I decided to write up an alternative procedure section in
the portion of the write-up dealing with gluing.

Bill Monroe most kindly sent his protocol for using PVC-Eglue (and for other
aspects of key recovering that he employs). His procedures looked easy to
follow, so last week I gave it a try on a set I'm working on for a Steinway
restoration.

To shorten this up, I tried the glue out, and it works great, even without
clamping. (I think it was that aspect that made me question the whole
procedure.)

So, I'll feature using PVC-E in the Schaff article as the recommended
procedure, and list contact cement as the alternative (good if you're in a
really hurry to get to the filing of the keytops). I'll also write up a
follow up for the Journal and will see if they would be interested in
running it.

So, to Ron, Joe and all the rest who tried to put me on the right path, I
apologize. You were correct. I was being stubborn. (If you had known my
father and my grandfather, you'd understand - something about apples and
trees comes into play, there, I'm sure.)

My 3 kids have spent most of their lives telling me that I needed to, "Get
with the program."  In the future, I'll try to at least become aware of
what the program is. (Just don't expect me to text you when I can just call!
I still draw the line at that!)

Thanks, by the way, for all the nice comments on the bridle strap write-up
that I did for the Schaff newsletter. It was fascinating to see how they
went together. I'm hoping to do a mini-series on a number of different
products that Schaff carries as future material for their newsletters.
Chuck Behm