[pianotech] billing dilemma with pitch raises

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Oct 31 15:14:36 MDT 2010

David - I don't understand why your tuning time varies between whether
you have made a pitch adjustment to the piano, or not. I find that a
tuning typically takes me about 75 minutes whether or not I have made
a separate pitch correction prior to tuning.

The only reason I can think of is that a piano which you determine
does not require a pitch correction prior to tuning is significantly
further from being "in tune" than a piano immediately after you have
made a pitch correction. Is that true? Why would that be? The only
thing I can think of is that you are doing relatively accurate pitch
corrections (end result is within a cent or two of final target), and
you are willing to tune the same piano (same circumstances) without a
pitch correction when it is significantly out of tune or off pitch
(more so than the result of your typical pitch correction).

If that is true, then I would suggest that you are not recommending a
pitch correction in many situations when a pitch correction would be
beneficial. Most of my pitch corrections end up within a few cents of
target, and if I determine a piano does not need a pitch correction,
that piano is typically within a few cents of target (very similar to
the result of a pitch correction).

How do the results of your pitch corrections compared to a piano that
you determine does not require a pitch correction prior to tuning.
Seems to me they should be about the same. And if they are the same or
similar, then why would the tuning time vary by 50%?

Terry Farrell