[pianotech] Breaking bass string

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Tue Apr 12 10:43:04 MDT 2011

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was referring to the formula
(popularized by Al Sanderson) for deriving a safe tension limit for music
wire. Sanderson took this to be approximately 60% of the average breaking
strength of the wire. This is the same formula discussed earlier by David
Love: T(limit) = 0.557d^1.667. I rather thought this was obvious from the
context of the discussion but apparently not.

The breaking strength of wire as determined by test is generally given as a
range and an average. For example, the breaking strength of Mapes IG No. 13
gage wire (U.S., or 0.031"/0.787 mm) ranges from 290 lbs (low) to 302 lbs
(high) and averages 296 lbs. (The average is not necessarily the same as the
low plus the high divided by two but the average of the breaking point of
all of the samples tested.) By the above calculation the maximum safe
tension for this wire is 170.6 lbs. For modern music wire I think this is
overly conservative.

Excluding the core wire of wrapped strings, in most pianos this is really an
issue only through the top octave or so. Below that the working tensions are
usually far enough below the elastic limit of the wire that string breakage
due to overly taut strings is not an issue. (Except for the Sohmer 8' 4"
grand which had a tension of 296 lbs at C-64 on a #16 1/2 wire [0.038"/0.965
mm]. C-52, with #18 wire (0.041"/1.041 mm) had a tension of 276 lbs and
F-33, with #21 wire [0.047/1.194 mm] had a tension of 328 lbs.)

>At 09:11 +0100 11/04/2011, you wrote:
>>surely the only question worth asking is, do these pianos produce a
>>better or a stronger sound in the high treble?

>You didn't answer this question.

No, I didn't. There is no easy "yes" or "no." As with most things having to
do with piano design this is interactive. Short speaking lengths and small
diameter wire--i.e., low tensions--work reasonably well with thin
soundboards and bridges that are relatively narrow and not very tall. NY
Steinways, for example, often have bridges that are quite narrow and often
just 24 to 28 mm in height at C-88. There is not a lot of mass in these
systems. When that gets translated into one of the Asian languages, however,
it often comes out as thick soundboards and wider bridges that are in excess
of 32 to 34 mm tall. Longer and higher-tensioned strings do work better in
these systems. Longer strings in the high tenor also allow placement of the
bridge a little further back, away from the treble soundboard liner--usually
a good thing.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Fabrication
6939 Foothill Court SW, Olympia, Washington 98512 USA
Phone  360.515.0119 — Cell  360.388.6525
del at fandrichpiano.comddfandrich at gmail.com