[pianotech] [Pianotek] the big discussion

John Ross jrpiano at eastlink.ca
Tue Feb 1 13:15:48 MST 2011

I did the PTG tuning exam a few years ago, using I think it was a SATl.
I scored I think it was an average of 95.7, unisons being the part that brought my score down.
This is the full exam with the pin setting, unisons etc. With an ETD, you are allowed 1 hour, and 1 1/2 hour for an aural examinee.
When I tried the aural portion, I failed. They told me my 4ths and 5ths were too pure.
Now if I were a customer wanting a tuning, would I choose an ETD tuner with a 95.7% average for the exam, or an aural person, who for arguments sake passed with an 80%.
Just throwing this out, and I know it is late in the thread.
John Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia