[pianotech] No Shows (was What do you say?)

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 21:53:02 MST 2011

The local piano teachers had a discussion about no-shows at one of their
meetings last year. The teacher was presenting the business class was
arguing that the parents should be charged regardless of whether or not the
student shows up. They have basically paid to reserve a spot in the
schedule. That reserved spot cannot be filled with anything else at the last
minute. The presenter even went one step further and recommended NOT trying
to allow the student to make up the lesson, because you are in fact
"training" the client to mess around with the schedule.

The teacher went on to say that when he became more hard-nosed in regards to
his business practices, his reputation in the community grew. People thought
he was a better teacher, even though his teaching had changed very little.
If you show more respect for your own time, the clients will also respect it
more!

We could look at it the same way. The client is paying to reserve a certain
amount of time for piano service. You have agreed to give them that time. If
they decide not to show up, you can't really fill that with another paying
client, so you've lost income.

Luckily it doesn't happen very often! That's why I HIGHLY recommend the
quick reminder call the day before.

Ry

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT