[pianotech] What kind of wood is that?

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 1 23:33:57 MST 2011

Terry,
Short for some kind of South American Wood. Most fall into the same family
as Mahogany, but way different in density and grain. I've never been able
to identify most of that group. A few are easy to spot. Others, not so
easy, unless you do a bunch of tests on them...such as put some finish on
them and see what pops out. <G> Boat Building woods, I know. The exotic
stuff, not so much.
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.