[pianotech] Hammer Technique: was Q & A Roundtable

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 06:29:05 MST 2011

Maybe theoretically .... but I haven't observed this in my 15 or so years of
tuning.

It takes a lot higher to break a string, unless it's just ready to break.
(For various reasons: weakened at the capo area, or becket, etc.)  When a
piano is restrung, doesn't it get chipped to well above A440? I remember
someone from Kawai (I think D. Mannino) saying their pianos are tuned to
either A443 or A444 before they are shipped to the USA.

Anyways, I don't yet see how a little overshoot contributes to string
breakage. Yeah, I see the theoretical possibility of it since the pitch is
slightly higher, but don't observe it in real life.

--
JF