[pianotech] Hammer Technique: was Q & A Roundtable

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Feb 2 09:35:26 MST 2011

Sorry, in the first sentence I'm referring to a grand.  If you read down I
talk about the difference between uprights and grands in with respect to
hammer position.  I think it's better to think of this in terms of quadrants
rather the clock face since the orientation of the clock face changes
between an upright and grand in terms of the direction of the speaking
length.  In a grand 12-3 is the first quadrant, 3-6 the second quadrant, 6-9
the third and 9-12 the fourth.  In the 1:30 position on a grand you're in
the first quadrant, in the 1:30 position on an upright you're in the 3rd
quadrant.  The force of the lever in terms of the direction in which the pin
is flexing will be opposite.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com