[pianotech] Hammer Technique: was Q & A Roundtable

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Feb 2 10:34:44 MST 2011

I'll address both of these separate questions.

First, (Mike) let's be clear, I didn't say that the first segment didn't
increase while the speaking length did, I said the first segment didn't
increase *above* the level where the speaking segment ends up.  So, in
answer to both your queries, that's that beauty of an ETD (yet another use).
You don't have to measure the actual tension to know that you didn't need to
increase the tension above the target.  You can easily demonstrate that the
pitch can be made to rise to the target from below and when you stabilize
the pin you can see that there is no change to the sharp side which needs to
be settled back down indicating that no additional or excess tension was
stored in the front segment.  It's deductive reasoning.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com

Inquiring minds would like to know how you measured the tension in each
segment, in order to demonstrate that the first segment tension did not
increase, while the speaking length tension did.

Mike

How, pray, did you demonstrate that the first segment tension never
exceeded equilibrium tension when it's contrary to the basic physics of
the system? For that matter, how could the first segment tension be
determined at all? If you've worked out a miraculous method of
determining this, I'd really love to know how it's done. I've needed a
way to read string segment tensions from day one, and haven't seen or
discovered a way to do it yet.

Ron N