[pianotech] Hammer Technique: was Q & A Roundtable

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Feb 2 13:34:10 MST 2011

Hypothetically, if there were no friction then any change in the first
segment would be immediately transmitted to all the other sections and there
would be no differential.  That's what happens when you merely pull on two
ends of a string.  And that's how I was thinking about it when I wrote this
up which is incorrect in the real world.  Of course there is friction and so
there will be a temporary differential in segment tension until friction is
overcome and those sections equalize.  It doesn't really change the point of
the technique which I am describing and which, during the demonstration, I
believe most people understood.  That is to raise the first segment tension
no higher than is necessary to achieve the target in the speaking length
without overshooting and having to drop things back through the friction
points in order to get the pitch to settle at the target.  The need to first
overcome friction in one direction and then to have to overcome friction
again in the opposite direction in order to be sure that things are stable
is what costs time and can compromise stability (in my experience).  If you
can manipulate things such that you only have to be concerned with friction
in one direction, you will be better off, I think.  The problem and the time
lost can be more pronounced on pianos with greater rendering problems, i.e.,
more friction, as you might imagine, and you end up chasing the pitch back
and forth trying to determine whether friction has been adequately dealt
with.  The technique described is one of counter pressure on the pin in
order to achieve that.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com

For my own edification and creating a hypothetical situation:
If there were zero friction at all bearing points,
   do the physics describe still show the first segment's
   tension will initially, in some degree, exceed the
   desired overall tension in the end?

Keith=