[pianotech] 4ths 5ths

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Wed Feb 2 19:33:40 MST 2011

The
eciding thing to me is to be able to do a credible tuning, repeatable each
ime I tune the same piano.  To me that means using my SAT .  It does not
ean that the tuning could not be tweaked to be more exact, but, I am not in
he business of performing concert level tunings on the clienteles home
ianos that I service.  With the SAT, as with other ETD's, there are no 'off
ays"  Nit picking on every tuning a person does creates burn out.  I tuned
8 years aurally before beginning with Sanderson's wonders and I am in my
0th year of piano tuning this June.  Life is too short to be that nit
icky.
ames

Although it is almost impossible to attain a concert level tuning on a crappy piano, one can always make it a little better than what the ETD does. When we do that, it will actually save us time, and make our lives a little easier.

A long time ago, Liz Baker gave a tuning class, and used a target to demonstrate tuning accuracy. (What they use at TARGET.) When you look at that target, there is a red dot in the middle, a white circle and a red outer circle. Put a dot in the middle of the red inner circle, and that represents a string at 100% accuracy. The inner edge of the white circle represents that string at 1 cent off. The inner edge of the outside red circle represents the string at 2 cents off. Some of us might be able to detect a string that is off by 1 cent, (after all, we allowed a 1 cent tolerance on our exams), but most of us should be able to tell a string that is off by 2 cents.

Now, subdivide each one of the circles, starting with the inner red circle, by 10 rings, equal distance apart. Each one of the rings represents 1 tenth of a cent.  So if you are on the outer edge of the inner circle, the string is off by .9 cents. If you're in the middle of the white circle, you're off by 1.5 cents. Etc.

When tuning, we want to be as close to 100% dead on accurate as possible. Now, even though the new ETD claim they are .0005 accurate, because of flaws in the pianos, and tuning technique, most tunings will not be that close. That is why doing a follow up aural check of your tuning is recommended.

So why is it important that we aurally check our work, and how can spending extra time on the tuning save you time and make you life easier?  Simple. The closer we can get to 100% accuracy, the better the piano will stay in tune. When the final tuning of a string is at .9 cents, it won't take much change in humidity or temperature for it to slip into the next circle. But if that string is within .1 cent of 100% perfect, it will take longer for it to get out of tune. So if all of the string are as close to 100% accurate as possible, when you go back 6 months or a year later, the piano will be better in tune, and your second tuning will be that much easier, and you can get done faster.

That is why you should spend a little extra time on tuning. You do that three or four years in a row, and the piano will almost not need tuning. (At least that's what I've experienced)

Wim