[pianotech] Ripley's Believe It Or Not; was:Thanks and further comments

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Feb 3 05:09:57 MST 2011

I was hoping someone else would make your point Keith. If I had to do
it, I would likely have been banned from this list because of my
language choices.

If the piano was 300 cents flat to start with, and you started raising
pitch at A0, the upper treble would be about 400 cents flat by the
time you got up there. Then you would need to pull the treble about
140 cents sharp for it to fall back to target pitch. Boy, that sure
sounds like a reasonable approach. I do that all the time in one pass
and get PDG tuning results also! This may just be the silliest thing
I've ever read on this list.

Silly! Crazy! Insane! Impossible (to end up a "good" tuning - or even
anything even resembling a poor tuning)!

I tuned a Yamaha G2 in a church yesterday that had been "tooned" four
months ago. I was shocked. I had tuned the piano for several years
about ten years ago, but not since. Yesterday was my first time in 7
years or so. It had always been fairly stable in the past - church
keeps AC on. Most unisons on the piano were within a few cents of one
another, but individual notes in the temperament section were up to 10
and 15 cents flat. And no way was it any sort of well temperament -
the thing sounded WAY out-of-tune. The entire treble had some notes at
pitch or even a little sharp, while a good dozen intermittent notes
were up to 30 cents flat (all three unisons). I can think of no
explanation for this other than someone who hadn't a clue about tuning
pianos tried to tune it. Or perhaps a toddler with a tuning lever was
allowed to crawl inside the piano. Or maybe...... wait a
minute.......... how far is Florissant, MO from Tampa?

Terry Farrell