[pianotech] OT: Temperature

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 3 13:02:15 MST 2011

It was -10 F near Peoria this morning when I left for my first appointment. I hardly noticed because I keep the van in our heated garage. I did notice, though, when I arrived at my destination got out of the van and took in a breath of air. The lungs don't like that really cold air....

But, it feels pretty balmy at 12 degrees now. :-) Driving wasn't bad. The intersections are the worst--if you need to make a turn. And the mountains of snow can make it difficult to see cars coming if you're trying to turn out onto a road. My second appointment postponed, even though he had cleared his driveway, a city snow plow came by and deposited about 4 feet of snow in it. I didn't want to climb over it with tools and get wet.

Our house is a ranch built in 1960. We set the thermostat on 68 or 69 during the day if someone is home and 66 at night. We have lots of good insulation and Pella double pane replacement windows--some casement, some double-hung, so the furnace keeps up--it just runs more often and we'll have a hefty utility bill for the month. My little Thermoworks Pocket TH says it's 68.4 and 32% RH (+/- 3%) by the piano. Our house seems to be naturally humid--for which I am grateful during the winter. I run a dehumidifier spring/summer/fall in the basement.

Keith, when we moved from an energy efficient house in Illinois to Texas in December of 1995, we about froze. Single pane windows, almost no insulation in the attic. We had insulation blown in almost immediately. We didn't replace the windows, but did other things to make the house more comfortable.

Stay warm!

Barbara Richmond, RPT