[pianotech] Thanks and further comments

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Thu Feb 3 13:05:32 MST 2011

With that kind of pitch raise, I would tell the customer that I would
ave to come back in 2-3 weeks do do another tuning.
Some actually have me come back - and - others don't care and are
atisfied with the way it sounds. These are probably the ones that have
t tuned every 10-20 years.
99% of the time, it is all up to the customers "money belt". Are they
illing to pay for a "follow up" tuning.
Duaine

Now we're getting into "selling" yourself, and a pitch raise/tune job. A "normal" tuning is $XX.  For that, you spend x amount of time, (I think you said you take about an hour and half). To do a pitch raise, which is immediately followed up with a "normal" tuning, is probably going to take you 2 and half hours. So for that, you should charge at least time and a half more. I would explain that the piano is badly out of tune, and requires extra work, and charge accordingly. This way you leave the piano in better tune when you leave, but then can recommend that you follow up in 3 - 6 months. (which I realize most won't do). But at least you know that you left the piano in good condition, and you made a little extra money.  But this is a business decision with which you might not agree.

Wim