[pianotech] Bridge pin locations help (image oops)

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Feb 3 20:30:48 MST 2011

That's a bit different.  If it's the same problem that you find on the older
Steinways that have the ring bridge it's difficult to tune the unisons
completely clean because of the unequal speaking lengths and the pitch lock
probably won't solve the problem but it might help.  If you use an ETD you
might try setting the machine to different partials and tune the unisons
with the machine and see which one sounds the cleanest to you.  You can do
that by ear as well, of course.  Since the outer strings are the most
different from each other you might want to make sure that you tune the
center string first and the outer strings to that (if you don't do that
already).  I find that there's usually a best choice but there is a
compromise to be made. I wonder what would happen if you used the pitch-lock
on the two outer strings?

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com