[pianotech] Subject: Re: Opinions vary. Could we leave it at that?

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 21:27:15 MST 2011

>Simple enjoyment of the sweet spots? Would you set up the telescope to
see the major wonders of the night sky for a computer to record, and not
look through it? Each piano is different. The ETD may indeed calculate
everything to some close approximation of optimum, but that destination
is different for each piano, and it might be fun to experience directly
how good or not good that instrument was capable of being? Not just
good-bad, but unique? Varying in unexpected ways from its fellow pianos?

Susan<

Not to worry, Susan. I make sure I enjoy each piano thoroughly, giving it a
good workout before I take my leave. After playing several of my favorites
tunes, I do a final check for any strings that have slipped and clean those
up.

As to the night sky analogy, you make an excellent point. When I enrolled at
the University of Iowa in 1972 in fact, it was with the initial intention of
majoring in astronomy under James Van Allen. Although a great deal of time
was spent pouring over data looking for anomalies, I really had the most fun
when we would spend an evening at the local observatory, peering into space
at the moon and the planets. I still remember the thrill of seeing the seven
sisters for the first time through a 4" Unitron refracting telescope.

But always, the serious work we did involved numbers and ultimately the
wizardry of computers to crunch those numbers. Tackling the vast amount of
data observed and recorded through both optical and radio telescopes without
computers would be an exercise in futility.

The ETD does for the tuner what the computer does for the astronomer. It
takes all the data available, interprets it, and gives the tuner the optimum
point at which  to set each note of the instrument.

Tackling the setting of  the temperament of a piano using the ETD as the
guide, by the way, does result in a destination that is slightly different
for each piano, in that the road map that is laid out for the tuner to
follow is set according to the individual variances in the partials of the
strings. Variances which may be too slight for the human ear to discern.

I do concede the point that for situations requiring a quick touch-up, such
as during the intermission of a performance, the ETD is not going to be
helpful. My work, however, consists only of full tunings not done under the
pressure of time. Concert venues and recording studios are not plentiful in
Boone, Iowa, I'm afraid!

At any rate, thanks for your informative and thoughtful commentary on the
subject, Susan. Chuck Behm