[pianotech] Weird....strings

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Feb 4 22:01:12 MST 2011

On 2/4/2011 9:58 PM, J. W. Stein wrote:

> I wonder if the looping around 2 hitchpins is a manufacturer's fault, or
> something has just gone awry.

It's not the hitches. It's the lousy spacing of the tuning pins so that
strings snake around a couple of them between tuning pin and pressure
bar, making it impossible to stabilize these strings. Kimballs are
downright famous for it, but you'll see it in some Baldwin verticals
too, to a lesser degree. Euthanasia is the only cure I know. I recommend
explosives, or refer them to a tuner you don't like.

Ron N