[pianotech] New Quiz - Wood Threads

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 4 23:53:28 MST 2011

 BINGO! We have a winner!
Now, why Hickory? Well, it takes threading very well and in the process does not "chip out" like other hardwoods. It's my belief that Hickory is somewhat self-lubricating when it is cut/planed/threaded. The material takes on a very slippery/shiny appearance when cut with sharp tools. The other reason is that it is the very best wood resistant to Sheer! (think about it in terms of legs for a square grand which usually weighs in at around 1000 pounds. You can move one of them puppies on it's castors in a sideways direction, w/o ripping the legs off. Can;t do that with most of the systems on regular grands in that weight class.<G>)
Regards to all who guessed and Giant Kudos to Paul!
joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I