[pianotech] Octaves & Unions

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 04:54:10 MST 2011

Visual tuners can float the pitch of a piano with ease. Touch-up tuning can be done aurally or with an ETD or in hybrid fashion, just like any other tuning. It is a basic skill of visual tuning to measure pitch drift and (off)set an ETD to match a drifted pitch of a piano, or if it is less than a cent or so, one can (off)set an ETD to match drifted pitches of each section.

BTW, I don't see why one would assume the superiority of floating the pitch in a touch-up situation, unless time constraints leave only that option. Depending upon when the drift happened, before or after a given passage was previously recorded, one can imagine the tuner getting into "trouble" either way, by floating the touch-up tuning or by returning the pitch to that of the original tuning.

Kent S