[pianotech] Subject: understand the relationship of the heavenly bodies

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 04:55:34 MST 2011

>But here is the big question, the one I asked Duaine. Let's say you hear an
octave out of tune. (C4-C5). How do you decide which note to change? But
more importantly, how do you know that the note you're changing is going to
be in tune with the fifth below that, or the octave and fifth, or double
octave? How do you know that changing the top note isn't going to throw off
the temperament that you asked the ETD to put on the piano in the first
place. Wim<

That's a great question Wim.

For me, once the temperament has been set, ordinarily I'm not going to
change it. If a unison has slipped, I'll check to see if it's an outside
string that is off, or the middle string. If the middle string has slipped
in relationship to the other two, I'll reset with the Verituner. It will
give me the same reading as before.

To prevent the need for overall adjustment, I always recommend a pitchup on
any piano over 15 cents flat, to get the tension close enough that the fine
tuning is stable. The customer understands that less than optimal results
will be achieved if the pitchup is not given.

With a pitchup, followed by the tuning, the results ordinarily don't need
further adjustment, unless it's a situation where one a string winds past an
adjacent tuning pin and has slipped, as Susan referred to in the post about
weird strings.

If something is seriously off, I would use my wedges to quickly go from the
beginning of the of the questionable section to the top, to take a reading
on the center string with the Verituner. The readings will tell you what you
need to know.

Although I read everything I can on the topic of aural tuning I find that
with a quality ETD understanding the math and physics, as you say, is not as
important as it would be for the strictly aural tuner. Just as a modern
automobile owner is able to drive from point A to point B without
understanding the mechanical functioning of the engine of his car, I would
be able to tune a piano using my Verituner even if I wasn't interested in
the underlying principals of tuning.

In my case, I am very interested in aural tuning. It's just that I trust my
particular machine to give me more accurate data than what my overtaxed ears
can discern. (Years of working with woodworking machines without earplugs
[until recently] has taken its toll. The constant ringing I hear makes it
really hard to focus on beats any more elusive than unisons.) For me, an ETD
is a godsend.

I'm sure your method for checking and adjusting your tuning is equally as
effective to mine. The end result needs to be a piano that's well in tune
with itself, no matter the method used.

Thanks for the well thought out question, Wim.

P.S. Hope you're keeping busy in Hawaii. I've got to hit the snow-covered
roads in a couple of hours to do a day's worth of tuning divided up between
4 little towns. The fun never ends!  Chuck