[pianotech] weird strings.....thanks...response

J. W. Stein musicnow at frontiernet.net
Sat Feb 5 06:25:36 MST 2011

To all who responded to my initial query about the Kimball strings (Bb
and A).

Thanks so much.  I have to say that the suggestions all make sense. I
did think about the pressure bar and how the strings traveled and looped
into the tuning pins.

All looked normal...didn't appear that the strings in question were
rubbing against neighbor strings or tuning pin.  And I did try the
suggestion of zeroing on different tuning "techniqes" (lowering, raising
) until it fell into "corrrect" tuning.  I ended up leaving it as in
tune as possible which the hope that the piano holds tune for at least a
few months.

Of course, this winter season has also wreaked havoc on so many
tunings....it's one of the worst winters I have experienced when it
comes to tunings.  Incredible!

Thanks again,

Jon