[pianotech] Carbon Fiber Lever (was Hammer Technique: was Q & A Roundtable)

Kurt Baxter fortefile at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 20:17:49 MST 2011

I was under the impression that the stiffness of the Fujan lever has as much
to do with the "triangle" head design as the CF tube. I seem to remember
reading that much of the flex in a traditional lever comes from the narrow
threaded joint. (And of course the improved joint would be less effective
without the tube to match)

I own a Fujan, and am very happy with it. I have a friend who owns a Faulk
and a Fujan. She says the Faulk is stiffer than a traditional lever, and the
Fujan is stiffer than both.

I have not tried the Driscoll lever, but my concern with the design is that
some or much of the stiffness gained by the CF tube (assuming it
has similar qualities to the Fujan tube) would be negated by the weak link
of the tapered threaded head.

I would love to see some even vaguely scientific side-by-side tests done,
although I'm not sure what that test would look like, as I'm sure the
perception of stiffness and feedback is at least somewhat subjective.

-kurt

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 6:17 PM, Mr. Mac's <tune-repair at allegiance.tv> wrote:

On Feb 5, 2011, at 4:55 PM, David Nereson wrote:

> Thanks.  I've seen that page before.  It's a general overview, not hard
data on various shapes of carbon fiber lever handles (tube vs. solid rod vs.
hexagonal or whatever), how much the length of the lever determines flex; no
info. on how much of the flex is in the handle-to-head interface (the
threads), how much play can exist between the tip and the tuning pin, what
features raise the price to $400 when somebody else can make one for $200,
etc.

David,

You've got to pay to play.

You can forget about hard data from anyone else. Not going to happen.
I have over $1000 invested in Steve Fujan's levers,
   and don't regret a penny spent.

Changed my whole perspective on tuning.
But hey, that's just my opinion, neh?

Good luck,