[pianotech] Octaves & Unions

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 6 10:22:03 MST 2011

On  2/6, 11:59 AM, Gerald Groot wrote:

> I tune for a lot of recordings.  I
> also use my EDT for many of them
> having saved many of my aural tunings
> in it.

Same here. Pianos that I tune often are
saved on my Cybertuner, and that's where
I start from. But on subsequent
touchups, often there are times when the
conditions that both you and I describe
make it impractical - if not foolish -
to use an ETD. The additional time that
it takes to re-calibrate the darned
machine for pitch drift is unnecessary -
if I am going to stay with the pitch
drift anyway - so why bother? I have yet
to run into a situation where the drift
was such that intervals became
noticeably distended. If I ever do -
maybe I will whip out that
Cybertuner...  So far hasn't happened,
on concerts or recording sessions.

Time is a factor in many recording
sessions - they want me to be done
quickly and let them get back to work.
Aside from the additional costs, there's
issues of limitation of access to the
space (there are rehearsals and
performances scheduled in concert halls
and services in churches), basic fatigue
(recording sessions can run over 12
hours - and a tuner fussing around with
some gizmo when he or she ought to be
working on the piano will not be quite
the hero of the day...) And who knows
how tolerant recording artists whom I
don't know are of ETDs at any given
session - prejudice against electronic
tuning is a fact, among artists, other
musicians, "civilian" piano owners as
well as among tuners. I am not about to
go on a crusade against it in the middle
of an important gig. I have had enough
unpleasant encounters where I had to do
a lot of convincing that the final
arbiter is my ear...

I am a confirmed ETD user who was
trained aurally - but adopted my first
ETD soon after. Dr. Albert Sanderson -
who sold it to me personally and spent
some years after fixing its  "glitches"
(I got a "lemon", took years to find the
faulty relay that acted up every few
months) - kept stressing the importance
of using it as an aid, and not a crutch.
So I am capable of doing without its
assistance when it is advisable (or
required by the circumstances). And in
my opinion, every tuner worthy of that
designation should also be so capable -
or sooner or later (no matter which
segment of the marketplace they service)
they will run into situations that will
damage their professional reputation and
the image of the entire profession. Yes,
even if they service "low end"
instruments. But that's a topic for a
discussion that I would rather see go
away than feed further...